You will need to have gained the following qualifications before starting an ITT programme:
- A degree (or equivalent qualification), preferably with a 2:2 classification or higher.
- For Secondary programmes – GCSEs (or equivalent) in English and maths with grade C/4 or above.
- For Primary programmes – GCSEs (or equivalent) in English, maths and a science subject with grade C/4 or above.
Please note we do not accept Level 2 Functional Skills as equivalent to GCSE as it does not carry the breadth of study of a full GCSE. We do accept IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with an overall score of 6.5 or more (no less than 6.0 in all areas) in place of GCSE English.
If you do not have the required GCSE qualifications, you can take an equivalency test. We are happy to accept these from one of the below providers:
A* Star Equivalency
If all, or part of your qualifications are from outside the UK, you will need to contact UK NARIC and apply for a Statement of Comparability.
- For primary programmes, the subject of your degree does not matter; there is no requirement for your degree to be in a primary curriculum subject.
- If wishing to teach secondary it is preferable that your degree is related to the subject you wish to teach. As part of the interview process, you will be asked about your subject knowledge in relation to the subject you wish to teach.
- Assessment Only – if it is felt that you do not have the required standard of subject knowledge to meet QTS you may be required to enrol on a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course. This must be completed prior to the start of the 12 week assessment period.
- SCITT, School Direct and PGTA – if it is felt that you may not reach the required standard of subject knowledge to meet QTS by the end of the training year, you may be required to enrol on a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course. This can be started before your ITT programme begins and completed alongside your QTS programme.
Further details about SKE can be found here.