SCITT and School Direct
Our SCITT and School Direct programmes are full time and part time, school-based programmes, leading to qualified teacher status with a PGCE. A list of our School Direct partners can be found here.
Our programmes offer you:
- A high percentage of time spent in a school experienced in training teachers
- A high quality professional studies programme
- Personalised support
- Recognition of your previous experience
- A good understanding of, and preparation for, the teaching profession
Our training gives you:
- Termly visits from your personal external tutor/subject tutor
- Induction before you start
- A professional studies programme which includes training on National Curriculum subjects, behaviour management, inclusion, assessment and SEND (Please note trainees on the Schools Direct routes will undertake some of this training with their host schools)
- Opportunities to meet regularly with other trainees
- Opportunities to observe and work alongside experienced teachers, gradually taking more responsibility for group and class teaching
- Teaching experience in two consecutive key stages
- Teaching experience in at least two schools
- A comprehensive course handbook outlining all course requirements (online resource)
- All trainees must demonstrate that they have met the minimum agreed standard for qualifying to teach (QTS) by the end of the course.
Trainees are assessed by:
- Building a portfolio of evidence against the Teachers’ Standards
- Demonstrating progress in class teaching through regular mentor and external tutor and subject tutor observations
- Completing a brief termly self-review and short reflective logs
- Contributing to a termly assessment report by the school
- A first degree from a UK higher education institution (or equivalent), preferably at 2:2 or above.
A first degree comprises 300 HE credits with at least 60 at Level 6
- GCSE grade 4 in English and Maths (or equivalent)
- GCSE grade 4 in science (or equivalent) for primary training
- In addition, trainees on the Schools Direct salaried route need a minimum of 3 years paid work experience
- Trainees must also pass the NCTL’s skills tests in literacy and numeracy before they can be offered a place on any teacher training programme (see skills test page)
Please check with us before undertaking any equivalency tests to ensure they meet the NCTL requirements.
Interested? Want to know more?
If you have these qualities and are interested in training with us we would be pleased to talk to you. Please contact the ETT team @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 03330139982